Friday, December 27, 2013

Submitting the Request for YOM Plates

I made an appointment at the PETALUMA (SONOMA COUNTY) DMV to take in the EBAY procurred license plates and submit form 352 from the DMV website. One thing I was not sure about was what to check at the top of the form -


I checked the option named "Original Assignment" and this worked with the clerk at the DMV office. 

I took: 
1. The pink slip
2. The paperwork on pre-payment of fees for current year
3. The License Plates 
4. Form 352

The clerk knew about the program (unlike many many posters experiences recounted in the various vintage car forums on the web who have had to basically educate the clerks about the YOM program) and though she had a few issues posting the transaction (which she solved by referring to the user manual) within 10 minutes I was issued the temporary sticker for my back window and told to NOT display the plates until I heard from Sacramento. 

A couple of updates to the other web pages - First, DMV no longer requires photocopies of the plates, just take them with you and the clerk will review them during the process.  My plates were OLD but still readable. I washed them with a little Comet and water before going to the DMV to get most of the dirt and grime off them.  I have learned from other encounters at the DMV that you get one shot with most of these transactions (twice I have paid fines because I gave a date that was late or something and when I asked the clerk to let me put a different date on some form they state 'that would be fraud' - and I pay pay pay) and I was a bit nervous going in - but it all went pretty much as outlined in the various articles I read and even though I did not have pristine plates, or a like new registration sticker,  the clerk said the plates looked readable and entered the little numbers from the registration sticker into the computer - even though she had to kind of guess at the fourth digit as I had kind of messed it up scraping off the 1967 tag. Just make sure all numbers and letters are readable as the clerk will have to capture these for the assignment.

Actual Cost to register Old Blue with 1966 Yellow on Black license plates was:
1.Plates$66(shipping ~$10)
2.Registration Sticker (I needed a yellow 1966) $0
3.DMV Fees$45
============
$111

The clerk took my Form 352, made a bunch of updates to the bottom section and said I should hear back within 6-8 weeks ....  I am waiting on the DMV now ...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing wonderful info, Found your post interesting, can not wait to see more from you. Good luck for upcoming post!!! You can also read more from 1969 california license plate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! These 1969 reissue plates were not available when I started down the YOM path. After they started showing up on cars in town I took a closer look and saw they were a ‘modern’ version made with different metal and the font was different then the vintage plates. 8 years after the fact, I am glad I took the time to go through the YOM process.

      Delete
  2. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! 1979 State Exempt California License Plate

    ReplyDelete