Saturday, October 11, 2014

Argent Shadows For The Bezel

The new parts that I will use for the replacement instrument bezel will need to be painted to duplicate the details of the original bezel. In 1966, Ford applied argent paint to any inner surface of the instrument cluster to reduce the glare from the dashboard lights at nights. The reproduced versions (as well as the re-chromed versions) do not have this detail element so we will add the argent to both the bezel and the gauge rings.


Original bezel showing argent colored surfaces

The reproduced bezel from Dennis Carpenter comes with all surfaces chromed. People on the FE forum also report when they have their original bezels re-chromed they come back with all surfaces chrome.

Reproduced bezel showing chrome colored surfaces
So, first I will need to remove the gauge rings from the lens and then mask off the parts I want to keep chrome with blue tape.

The gauge rings are attached to the lens by 3 round posts that are inserted into 3 holes in the lens with the ends of the posts then melted to hold in place. To remove I used my fingernails to break off the melted part of the post and then gently pulled the ring from the face of the lens. I did this same procedure for both rings.
New Lens with Gauge Rings

I will paint both of the inner gauge rings and then do the same for the bezel. After wrapping with blue tape, I used an exacto knife to cut the tape to cover only the areas I want to stay chrome and  cover the remainder of the bezel with newspaper to protect the chrome finish. 


I used my usual VHT SP-188 for the Ford argent, this color is not to glossy but is not totally flat like primer.



I carefully applied two light coats of the Ford argent to the bezel inner face, letting each coat dry before adding the next. I did not sand or buff in any way as the paint was looking smooth over the chrome and I did not want to mess up an acceptable accent to the new bezel.

While the paint is drying I will take a look at the optional gauges and see what can be done to freshen them up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment