Monday, July 29, 2013

Gotta give a WAVE and where can I read more?

Over the next week or so, the kids and I cleaned out Old Blue, washed the dust from her travels across country from Uncle Ken's house to California and I read everything I could find on the web about  the 1966 FORD 250. One of the many resources I found right away and enjoyed reading was the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums Website at http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php. Here I found so many references to the 1966 Ford F-250  and it became obvious my initial goal of understanding what equipment was on Old Blue was imperative to understanding how to take care of her. I saw a posting by a man who had asked about his truck by copying information from the door plate so I did the same; posting a simple question asking if anybody on the site could help me understand what equipment Old Blue had on her, at least what she had been delivered with.



My simple request brought me a wealth of information from a personable retired ford parts manager who responded within hours of my question.  I spent the next few days reading about MX Cruise-O-Matic transmissions and other seemingly arcane components of the 1966 F-250.




I found that Old Blue was manufactured as follows:

VIN: F25YR845570 / W.B. 129 / Color: WM / Model: F250 / Body: O 81 / Trans: G / Axle: 24 / Max G.V.W. LBS: 07500 / Cert. NetHP: 172 / RPM: 4000 / DSO: 72

F25 = F250 2WD    <----   Model and Drive 
Y = 352 2V*          <-----  Engine size and carburator option
R = San Jose CA Assembly Plant.   
<----   Place of Assembly       
845570 = 1966, assembled April 1966.  <----   Year and Month of assembly
129" Wheelbase.       
<----   space between axles 
WM: W = Marlin Blue / M = Wimbledon White.       
<----   Original Colors scheme
F250 2WD, 7,500 lbs. GVWR           
<----   Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 
D81: D (Medium Beige) Crush Vinyl & Medium Blue or Medium Beige Cody Pattern Woven Plastic / 81 = 81B Custom Cab.      
<----   Interior colors : Old Blue had the Beige 'D' option 
G = MX Cruise-O-Matic.         
<----   Transmission model 
24 = Spicer/Dana 60 Rear Axle / 4.10-1 / No Limited Slip / 5,200 lbs. Rear Axle Capacity.   
<----   Rear end Option 
7,500 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.
172 net HP @ 4,000 RPM
72 = San Jose (NorCal) Ford District Sales Office, where the original selling dealer ordered the truck from.


*Original carburetor: Auto-Lite 2100 series 2V

Wow ... I never expected all this information so quickly ... now I had to verify with Uncle Ken what was still on the truck, what had been replaced, and of course - WHY ?

Monday, July 29, 2013 in a note to Uncle Ken ... 
I’ve learned in Petaluma there is an unspoken agreement that IF you drive a 60’s Ford you always give a wave when you pass on the Road. I remember when Leanne and I went with Granny back to Kansas in the early 90's where, because we were out in the sticks, could only find an old 70’s oldsmobile to rent. As we belted along the dirt country roads whenever we passed another car the driver would give a wave .. I learned to give a wave back and now it happens driving around town. I have not seen another blue/white truck but have seen two tone light green and white trucks and lots of everything else ford made during the decade… 

No comments:

Post a Comment